Saturday, September 24, 2005

New way to budget

Okay, so far I have been using Excel spreadsheet budgeting tools that I got from Michael at It's Your Money. It's worked "okay" so far, but there were some differences between the way Michael accounts for his money and how I account for my money. Michael, thanks for the free use of your spreadsheets. They were great, but it's time I moved on.

That's why I got the You Need a Budget spreadsheet budgeting system. I bought it for $19.95, downloaded it, and began to play with it. Now, understand that I'm not yet advocating the use of it, and I'm not promoting it, since I get nothing from the sale of it. That may change in the future, since if it works I will promote the heck out of it as an affiliate. For the moment, though, I'm just trying it out and seeing how well it suits my needs.

YNAB has a unique requirement: before you begin to use it, you must save the equivalent of a month's expenses in your checking account. That alone eliminates almost anyone who doesn't currently have their finances under control. Also, I have to get used to using it, but that's true for any budgeting system. I'm still working out a few issues, but Jesse Mecham, the creator of YNAB, has been very responsive so far.

I'll let you know how it goes.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home